April 14, 2011

Kale Chips

Kale is one of those amazingly nutritious vegetables. It's packed with calcium, vitamin B6, magnesium, vitamins A, C and K, iron and potassium. You can't get much better than that. Quite honestly, I never visited kale in the grocery store, nonetheless been to the section where it usually resides, until about a year and a half ago. When I eliminated meat and dairy from my diet, I needed to reach out to the leafy greens that had until then eluded me. After discovering how important this green needed to be in my diet, I was still at a loss as to how to incorporate it into my meals. Then a friend introduced me to kale chips. Oh my, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Seriously delicious. And seriously easy to make. Other simple ways to add it to your diet include making a green smoothie, throwing it in your favorite soup or tossing it into your pasta dishes. Hail to the kale!




kale chips recipe


ingredients:
1 bunch kale
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Trim tough stems from kale and cut into bite size pieces. Wash and dry thoroughly. A salad spinner works really well. If kale's too wet, it won't crisp well. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and toss together, making sure kale is evenly coated.

3. Bake for 10-12 minutes, tossing once or twice. Kale should be light and crisp. If it's still soft, continue baking for another two minutes. If it starts to turn brown, it's overdone.

Now, try not to eat the whole batch in one sitting! My kids love this too, although not the first time they tried it...now you'll catch us fighting for the last bite.


0 comments:

Post a Comment