May 18, 2011

Delicious Basil Shrimp Recipe



Shrimp is one of my favorite foods. It's delicious, versatile and packed with nutrients. Not only are they low in fat and calories, they're high in selenium, protein, vitamins B12, B3, D, iron and omega-3 fatty acids.

I'm always looking for a good shrimp recipe. Although I have many I can turn to in a pinch, I love trying something new. The approval rating was extremely high for this one; from my one-year old niece to my sixty-something year old mother, it was enjoyed by all. Although I used shrimp, I think this could be used with a white fish or chicken and can also be grilled instead of sauteed. I've adapted it from one I discovered on my most-referred to recipe source, allrecipes.com. Enjoy over brown rice or pasta.


basil shrimp recipe 
 
ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, melted (my preference is Earth Balance)
1 lemon, juiced (or 2 teaspoons)
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons dijon mustard, depending on your preference
1/4 cup minced fresh basil, or 4 teaspoons dried
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt, to taste (I suggest be on the conservative side)
white pepper, to taste
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined

directions:
1. In a medium bowl, combine olive oil and melted butter. Add lemon juice, mustard, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and lightly toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Heat large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and remaining marinade to saute pan. Cook for 6 minutes or so, turning shrimp occasionally, until opaque and cooked thoroughly.
Serves 4.

0 comments:

Post a Comment