May 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Crispy Rice Treats


Working as a volunteer at my youngest son's preschool, I usually like to bring a healthy treat for the kids to enjoy during snack time. Well, this time I completely forgot. About an hour before we were supposed to be there, I was scrambling for something I could quickly put together. I didn't have time to mix, bake and let cool. Cookies, muffins and cupcakes were out of the question. Then I remembered the box of Rice Krispies I had stored in the basement. Perfect. Rice Krispy Treats. I've tried a few yummy recipes that don't use the icky (yet delicious, I know) marshmellow and butter combo. I turned to The Kind Dietby Alicia Silverstone and found her interpretation of the traditional version and adapted it slightly. The result is a sweet, peanut buttery bite-sized crispy treat!
 
peanut butter crispy rice treats recipe
 
ingredients:
1-16 oz. box brown rice cereal (if you can't find this in your health food aisle, Rice Krispies work just as well)
1 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup maple syrup, plus 2 tablespoons
3/4 cup peanut butter or almond butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Cooking spray

directions:
1. Pour rice cereal into a large bowl. In a small saucepan, heat brown rice syrup and 1/2 cup maple syrup over low heat. Once combined and liquified, add peanut butter and stir well. 

2. Pour sauce over rice cereal and stir to coat. If it's too dry, add one tablespoon of maple syrup at a time. The consistency should be nice and sticky, not too wet or you'll have trouble forming your small bites.

3. Cool mixture and then add chocolate chips. I added them when it was still a bit warm and the chocolate got really melty, although it still tasted delicious.

4. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish or, my preference, mini-muffin tins. Evenly spread the mixture into the baking dish or drop in heaping spoonfuls into muffin tins, slightly shaping tops into domes.

5. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Cut into squares or simply remove from tins.
Makes 9 to 12 squares, or 4 dozen mini-bites.

1 comments:

Stephanie said... [Reply]

Delicious! Thanks for posting!

Post a Comment