May 23, 2011

Green Household Cleaners: Granite Counter Tops

 
Household cleaners are filled with loads of toxic chemicals. And when we clean with them, we inhale them, they're absorbed into our skin. I'm slowly making my way to a more non-toxic cleaning regimen. In most instances, I've found the cleaning to be adequate, but I must admit there are times I reach for a bottle of chemicals. There are some tough, stubborn stains that I've been challenged to remove with natural cleaning methods. I'm certainly working on it, experimenting with different solutions. One I've been using for a few years with great success on my granite counter tops. Its base is isopropyl alcohol, which has a neutral pH and is an intermediate disinfectant (kills most bacteria, viruses and fungi.) It's much safer than a lot of the products readily available in the store and much less expensive to make. As with any cleaning solution, do take care not to inhale and of course, do not ingest.

Green Granite Counter Top Cleaner:
Fill spray bottle with 1 part 70% isopropyl alcohol and 4 parts water. Add a few drops of castile soap (I like Dr. Bronner's Lavender soap, or simply use dishwashing liquid.) Lightly spray counter tops and wipe with a clean, dry cloth. It will evaporate quickly and won't leave streaks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment